Skip to main content

George Louis Crocket Papers

 Collection
Identifier: A-0012
Letters, notebooks, lectures, articles, speeches, biographical studies and other papers relating to feuds, rebellions, churches, schools and colleges in San Augustine and Nacogdoches. Includes folklore, family history and sketches on Texans and prominent U.S. and foreign citizens. Includes maps and charts, newspaper clippings on history and world events of 1900-1930. A significant portion of this collection contains George Crocket's original art work.

Dates

  • 1787-1960

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is in English and Spanish.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research.

Extent

12.50 Cubic Feet

Biographical or Historical Information

George Louis Crocket, author of "Two Centuries in East Texas," was the "Grand Old Man of East Texas"--known and honored as a churchman, scholar, historian, humanitarian, and craftsman.

The twinkling eyed Irishman was born in a two room house in San Augustine, June 3, 1861, the youngest of five children of George Fulton Crocket and Elmira Louisa Sharp Crocket; he died January 3, 1936, in Memorial Hospital, Nacogdoches, Texas of a heart ailment.

After completing his education in the public schools of San Augustine and at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn., Mr. Crocket served as pastor of the Episcopal Church in San Augustine for forty-two years and as part time pastor of Nacogdoches for twenty-four years. He did missionary work in Lufkin, Corrigan, Garrison, New Birmingham, and Center.

In 1929 Mr. Crocket became Professor Emeritus of History at Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College in Nacogdoches, where he collected and organized data relating to the history of East Texas.

Mr. Crocket was a civic minded citizen, taking a vital part in the work of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, the East Texas Historical Society, the Nacogdoches Historical Society, and the Boy Scouts of America.

("George Crocket." Control File, East Texas Research Center. Ralph W. Steen Library. Stephen F. Austin State University.)

Arrangement

This collection is described in 424 folders and was originally housed in 46 clamshell boxes. These boxes were consolidated into eight banker's boxes. There is also one oversize bundle in the collection.

The original folder numbering for boxes 1-46 was modified in 2019 to make the organization of the collection more intuitive. The original description of each folder did not include a box number, only a 'C' number and a folder title. Some 'C' numbers had subfolders that were labeled [Folder 1, Folder 2, Folder 3...]. This method of organization was confusing, so an archivist in 2019 renumbered the collection, incorporating the old numbering system into a more traditional box and folder number organization. This new numbering preserves the the old information with decimal points to denote subfolders of each 'C' number.

Examples:

C12(3), Folder 1 is now Box 12, Folder 12(3).1

C12(3), Folder 2 is now Box 12, Folder 12(3).2

C88, Folder 1 is now Box 24, Folder 88.1

C88, Folder 2 is now Box 24, Folder 88.2

Related Materials

Mattie Sharp Brewer Research Papers, A-0038

Christ Episcopal Church Collection, B-0119

Crocket, George Louis. An historical sketch. San Augustine, TX: s.n., 197- ETRC F394.S215 C76x

Crocket, George Louis. Nacogdoches. S.l.; s.n., 19-- ETRC F394.N32 C76x

Crocket, George Louis. Two centuries in East Texas ; a history of San Augustine County and surrounding territory from 1685. Austin, TX: Hart Graphics, 1982. ETRC F392.S23 C8 1982x

Crocket, George Louis. Two centuries in East Texas; a history of San Augustine County and surrounding territory from 1685 to the present time. Dallas, TX: Southwest Press, 1932. ETRC F392.S23 C8
Title
Guide to the George Louis Crocket Papers

Repository Details

Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository

Contact: