The collection of materials consists of plat maps, field notes and other information accumulated by Elmer Hill, his father, H. C. Hill and his father’s predecessor, W. T. Harlson who worked in the 1800’s in Tyler, San Augustine and Nacogdoches counties.
Elmer O’Neill Hill was born on March 21, 1917 in Groveton, Texas to Henry Curtis Hill and Regina O’Neill Hill. Elmer’s grandfather, J. M. O’Neill was a surveyor for Trinity Lumber Company, as well as the Trinity County Surveyor from 1902-1924. Elmer’s father Henry was an educator, unable to support his large family on a teacher’s salary he went to work for his father-in-law, J. M. O’Neill. During high school Elmer worked with his father as a filed surveyor and engineer. He graduated from Groveton High School in 1937, and there after completed a correspondence course in Business Management and Finance. He also continued his education with courses from the Texas Surveyors Association. Elmer Hill was a field surveyor and engineer in construction of military installations and defense plants. He was the Trinity County Surveyor from 1948-1950. He was then employed by Kirby Forest Industries from 1950 until his retirement in 1980. E. O. Hill passed away on November 29, 2001, he his buried in the Hill family cemetery.