Stone Fort Collection
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
0.20 Cubic Feet
Biographical or Historical Information
The variety of owners and uses of the stone house contribute to the rich texture of Nacogdoches life in the late eighteenth, nineteenth, and early twentieth centuries. "During it's history, the original house served variously as a public building, grocery store, candy store, saloon, and as a temporary fortification during the Magee-Gutierrez, Dr. James Long and Fredonia Rebellion filibusters" -(Carolyn Spears, Curator of the Stone Fort Museum).
In 1902, the oldest stone house in the state of Texas was demolished in order to make room for a more modern structure. After five years of fundraising, the Cum Concilio Club succeeded in raising enough money to erect a memorial building on Washington Square, and on July 4th of 1907, the Club laid the cornerstone for the memorial structure. The memorial building incorporated some of the original stones from Y'Barbo's stone house, and was used for a variety of public functions. In 1936 a replica of the original stone house was built on the campus of the Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College. The memorial structure was torn down and some of the original stones from Y'Barbo's stone house were reused in the construction of the Stone Fort Museum, which is still in use today.
- Guide to the Stone Fort Collection
- Natasha McClanahan and Linda Nicklas