The Bureau of East Texas Research was organized in 1953 under the direction of Dr. Robert S. Maxwell of the History Department. It sought to locate, acquire, and preserve materials that emphasized the agricultural business and industrial development of the East Texas Region. From its inception the materials that the Bureau collected ended up in the Special Collections Department of the Library. One collection that was of significance was that of the Mr. E. L. Kurth and the Angelina County Lumber Company. This collection started the influx of Lumber Companies that donated their materials to SFA. As a result of all of these Forestry Collections, the Forest History Foundation designated the Special Collections an official North American Forestry History Repository in 1959.
The Bureau of East Texas Research was taken into the Special Collections Library, which in turn was renamed the East Texas Research Center in 1994. The work of the Bureau of East Texas Research helped to establish a connection with Lumber Companies which allowed the Special Collections/East Texas Research Center continue to expand its collection in this field of study.
There were a number of folders that were personal manuscripts that Dr. Maxwell had written that were not related to the Bureau of East Texas Research. These manuscripts were removed from the collection and added to the Dr. Maxwell’s personal paper collection.
Angelina Lumber Company. ETRC Forest History Collection. F-1East Texas Research Center. ETRC University Archives. UA-60Maxwell, Robert S. and Robert D. Baker. Sawdust empire : the Texas lumber industry, 1830-1940. College Station: Texas A
[Item], Bureau of East Texas Research (UA – 110), East Texas Research Center, Ralph W. Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University. http://archives.sfasu.edu/repositories/2/resources/478 Accessed January 20, 2021.