Biographical or Historical Information
Organized in 1922 as the Young Men's Booster Club with the purpose of promoting community improvement, the Nacogdoches Boosters Club is the city's oldest men's civic club. The members worked for the establishment of Stephen F. Austin State University at Nacogdoches, and since 1923 have sought to advance the interests of the college. In 1933, when the college was in danger of being reduced to a junior college, the Boosters sent letters to State Representatives, East Texas businessmen, judges, and other influential people, urging them to support maintaining senior status for the college.
Originally limited to thirty members, the Boosters Club is independent, not affiliated with any other state or national association. The club meets weekly except during summer months for dinners and luncheons, with informative and entertaining programs, to discuss local concerns. Annually the Boosters hold a Ladies Night to honor their wives.
The Boosters hold annual award programs honoring athletes at Nacogdoches High School and SFASU as well as sponsoring a banquet for straight-A students at SFASU. Among their projects the Boosters Club has endorsed fluoridation of the Nacogdoches water supply, contributed substantially to the purchase of the historic Edward H. Blount house for the offices of the Chamber of Commerce, and supported Operation Wildflower on Highway 59 for the Texas Sesquicentennial.
Although the club is non -political and non-sectarian, its members have included a State Senator (Roy Blake), President of SFASU (William R. Johnson), and many members of the City Council, School Board, and Chamber of Commerce as well as leaders of business institutions, churches, and other service organizations.