Biographical or Historical Information
Clark and Hyde Mercantile, 1872-1874
Clark and Hyde Mercantile was a general store operated by William Clark and William F. Hyde. They opened the business on October 24th, 1872 in Nacogdoches County, Texas, and agreed to share equal custody and rights to business. The business operated like a general store, selling coffee, tools, and many other items to the citizens of East Texas. The store remained open until January 6th, 1874 when they went out of business. The two men also had a law practice in addition to the mercantile store.
Daybook 1, Page 1, Clark & Hyde Mercantile Collection (B-97), East Texas Research Center, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas.
Daybook 2 Page 226, Clark & Hyde Mercantile Collection (B-97), East Texas Research Center, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas.
Ulman, H. Charles. 1875. Trow’s Legal Directory and Lawyer’s Record of the United States. New York: John F. Trow, p.601. Republished by GoogleBooks. Online at