Collection includes history of Nacogdoches County Post Offices, newspaper articles, blueprints of the Nacogdoches Office, diagram of lock boxes, map of rural routes for Nacogdoches, and a box and key register.
Nacogdoches County has been served by post offices of the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America, and the United States of America. The first Postmaster for the city of Nacogdoches, Adolphus Sterne, was appointed February 19, 1840. His office was in the Old Stone Fort, which was located on its original site in downtown Nacogdoches on the corner of North Fredonia and East Main streets. The first federal building to serve as Post Office in Nacogdoches, located on the square, was built in 1917. From 1964 until 1988, the Nacogdoches city Post Office was located at 204 West Main. In 1988, a new building was constructed at 3007 North University Drive. Enough land was purchased to accommodate for expansion when required.
Matlock, Vicki. The former post offices of the city of Nacogdoches. Nacogdoches, TX: Matlock, 1975. ETRC HE6376.N32 M37 1975x
Sanders, J. B. The post offices and post masters of Nacogdoches County, Texas, 1845-1930. Center, TX, 1964. ETRC HE6376.A1 T48