Biographical or Historical Information
The Nacogdoches Historical Society was formed in April, 1934 to rebuild the Stone Fort and to translate many of the existing records from the old Spanish into present day English, as well as to perpetuate many of the historical spots of Nacogdoches. The Society received its charter from the State of Texas Historical Society in August, 1935. With Miss Virgie Sanders as president, the Nacogdoches Historical Society made several accomplishments during the years 1934-1937, such as; the publication of a 24-page illustrated historical pamphlet: Nacogdoches, Texas Centennial, 1716-1936, the building and dedication of the Stone Fort Replica in 1936, and the marking of all historic spots and shrines in Nacogdoches. Also, the Society organized a Nacogdoches Homecoming celebration for the Texas Centennial on May 25, 1936. In 1939, Miss Sanders wrote several letters as president of the Society to arouse public interest in the preservation of the Old Nacogdoches University Building. The historical pamphlet, Nacogdoches, Texas Centennial, 1716-1936, was revised and reprinted in 1940. The Nacogdoches Historical Society disbanded in 1941. Miss Sanders was the last president of the group and continued to correspond on behalf of the Nacogdoches Historical Society throughout World War II. In a 1945 letter, Miss Sanders mentioned that the Society had discontinued their meetings until the post-war period.
The Nacogdoches Historical Society was reorganized in September, 1956 with Mrs. Garland Roark as president. The Society designated the restoration and preservation of the Old Nacogdoches University Building as its first goal.