Christ Episcopal Church Collection
Scope and Contents
The Christ Episcopal Church Collection includes a wide range of records (blueprints, correspondence, land, minutes, photographs, programs, receipts, sermons, slides, yearbooks) relating to the administration, membership, expansion, and history of the church. This includes, but is not limited to records from the vestry, parish, Christ Church Guild, Associated Women of Christ, and George Crocket Guild. The collection also has many of George L. Crocket sermons, one of his diaries, and books and bibles from his personal library.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Christ Episcopal Church of Nacogdoches, one of the first in the Diocese of Texas, traces its history to the earliest years of statehood. The idea for an Episcopal Church in Nacogdoches came to pass in 1848 when local Judge Amos Clark convinced Rev. Henry Sansom, who had just arrived in Texas to minister to the people of San Augustine, to also hold services in Nacogdoches. Sansom agreed, and held the first Episcopal service at the Nacogdoches Courthouse Sunday, June 14th, 1848. Services continued in the courthouse until 1852, when the Christ Church of Nacogdoches opened its doors for the first time. Located at the end of a short lane (later renamed Church Street) off Main Street, the church was consecrated in 1855. The first Vestry included Judge Clark, who gave $500 in gold to build the church, Frost Thorn, who donated the land, Col. Hayden Edwards, and Judge Richard S. Walker. Other well-known early members include Col. Henry Raguet, Dr. James Harper Starr, Dr. Robert Irion, Judge William B. Ochiltree, and Capt. Henry Hancock. In 1902, the church moved to a new location adjacent the old Nacogdoches University. Famous architect and vestryman Dietrich Rulfs designed the structure. The church moved to its present location on the corner of Mound Street and East Starr Avenue in the 1930s. (Christ Episcopal Church, History of Christ Episcopal Church, Nacogdoches, Texas, http://www.christchurch-nacogdoches.org/history.html [Accessed 15 April 2011].)
16.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged at the folder-level in 11 boxes. There are also several oversize items.
The oversize materials from this collection are located in Map Case 7, Drawers 17 and 18.
- Guide to the Christ Episcopal Church Collection
- Brandon Plaster and Linda Reynolds
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script