Health and physical education for women has been a part of SFA since its opening in 1923 with two years worth of physical education required. In 1924 Aikmen Gymnasium was opened and men’s and women’s courses shared the facilities. In 1926 a major in health and physical education was offered and thus the formation of the department.
1935 marked the opening of the Women’s Recreation Center and it became home for the Department of Health and Physical Education for Women. By 1946 the department had grown to offer a masters degree in health and physical education.Note written by Greg Bailey
[Item], Department of Health and Physical Education - Women (UA – 23), East Texas Research Center, Ralph W. Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University. http://archives.sfasu.edu/repositories/2/resources/41 Accessed September 23, 2021.