Marigold Creamery Records
Scope and Contents
An account ledger for Nacogdoches business Marigold Creamery and a Nacogdoches County Resolution honoring H. H. Cooper.
- 1913-1917, 1934
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Marigold Creamery opened for business on December 1, 1913 with Captain H. H. Cooper listed as proprietor. The creamery, located at 140 W. Pillar St., collected milk from several dairies in Nacogdoches County for the production of butter, ice cream, and other milk products. A ledger in the collection (1913-1917) recorded milk and cream purchases from the various dairies and independent farmers in Nacogdoches County.
The creamery sold to Mr. Robert George Muckleroy, Sr. in April 1921. Mr. Muckleroy expanded the ice cream production plant in August 1921 and changed the brand name to Dairyland Ice Cream. With the expansion and new buildings, the address changed to 204 W. Pillar St. The name changed to the Nacogdoches Ice Cream Company. Eventually, the business encompassed the 200 block of Pillar St. (204-209 addresses.)
The business continued to expand and included plants in Lufkin, Center, Kilgore, and Jasper, Texas. By 1933, ice cream deliveries were made to other merchants in the city and county including Kennedy’s Drug Store, the College Pharmacy, Swift Brothers Grocery, and Stripling and Haselwood Drugstore. Muckleroy also purchased other creameries in the East Texas area, including the Timpson Dairy Plant and the Southwest Dairy operations. Dairyland Ice Cream remained in production until 1954, when the brand was sold to the Borden Company, originally located on the Lufkin highway (now US 59.) Mr. Muckleroy, Sr. died in 1956. By 1959, Muckleroy Sales Company replaced Nacogdoches Ice Cream Company in the phone book at the W. Pillar St. address.
The Creamery and Milk Plant Monthly, vol. 2, no. 1 (September 1913), p.41.
New York Produce Review and American Creamery, vol. 37, no. 10 (24 December 1913), p.456.
The Creamery and Milk Plant Monthly, vol. 2, no. 4 (December 1913), p.45.
The Creamery and Milk Plant Monthly, vol. 2, no. 5 (January 1914), p.45.
The International Confectioner, vol. 23, no. 8 (August 1914), p.73.
Chicago Dairy Produce, vol. 21, no. 35 ( 19 January 1915), p.73.
The Creamery and Milk Plant Monthly, vol. 4, no. 7 (March 1916), p.28.
The Ice Cream Trade Journal, vol. 17, no. 8 (August 1921), p. 69 The Soda Fountain, vol. 23, p.62.
Houston Daily Post, 1 January 1910, p.10.
The Alto Herald, 2 July 1914, p.7.
The Redland Herald, 23, July 1914, p.8.
The Bryan Daily Eagle and Pilot, 13 July 1914, p.3.
The Madisonville Meteor, 13 June, 1929, p.7.
Timpson Daily Times, 6 June 1933, p.1.
Timpson Weekly Times, 27 April 1951, p.1.
Timpson Weekly Times, 25 May 1951, p.9.
Timpson Weekly Times, 21 December 1951, p.49.
“Robert George Muckleroy, Sr.” Obituary, The Daily Sentinel, 13 December, 1956.
Nacogdoches County Deed Book 79, p. 472
H. H. Cooper purchased a city lot (Lot 7, Block 12) on Pillar St. for $750 cash from E. A. Blount, S. W. Blount, W. V. Perkins, I.L. Sturdevant, Charles Perkins, and John Schmidt, June 21, 1913.
April 1922, Sheet 3 -- 125 S. Taylor St. (corner of Taylor and Pillar St.)
Feb. 1929, Sheet 3 -- 140 W. Pillar St. (new building)
Aug. 1946, Sheet 3 -- 140 W. Pillar St.
ETRC Vertical Files: Business and Industry:
Nacogdoches Ice Cream Company, Daily Sentinel, 22 December, 1949.
0.75 Cubic Feet
This collection consists of four items housed in an oversize box.
- Guide to the Marigold Creamery Records
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script