Skip to main content

Beckville Church Register

 Collection
Identifier: B-0107
Register of names and when they were received by the Beckville Church (Panola County), 1857-1899, 1903-1906, pastors, 1885-1898, deaths 1889-1891, baptisms 1889-1890, 1906, and marriages 1888-1890. Includes register of members of Ebenezar Church, 1903-1904, Mt. Pisgah Church, 1903-1904, Rehobeth Church, 1904-1906, Allison's Chapel (Panola County), 1903-1906

Dates

  • 1857-1960

Extent

0.00 unknown

Biographical or Historical Information

The first Methodist worship services for area pioneers were conducted in 1844, when the region was served as part of the San Augustine Circuit. The first pastor for the church, known originally as Liberty Chapel, was the Rev. Jeff Shook. Services were held in a community meetinghouse until 1874, when members constructed the first sanctuary. With a history dating to the Republic of Texas and before the formal organization of Beckville, the church remains an important institution to the community and the county. (Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986, Texas Historical Commission. Online, http://www.historicmarkers.com/Texas/Panola_County_Texas/Beckville_United_Methodist_Church__TX10817/ [accessed January 11, 2008].
Title
Guide to the Beckville Church Register

Repository Details

Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository

Contact: