A. W. De Berry Law Practice Collection
Scope and Contents
The account book of A. W. De Berry is for his law practice in Carthage, Panola County, Texas, 1871-1873. It lists the names of De Berry's clients, the legal services he provided to them, and the fees De Berry charged for his work.
- Event: Donated 9/1984
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
“Alfred Wesley De Berry was born in Franklin, Kentucky, on February 11, 1829, to John Wesley and Patsy Ann Beezley (Lowe) De Berry. He moved to Texas in January 1850. After serving on the state Democratic committee from June 1853 to January 1854, he was admitted to the bar at Carthage in June 1855. In Panola County he organized and commanded Company C of Col. Horace Randal's Twenty-eighth Texas Cavalry of Walker's Texas Division. The company, locally known as the Texas Lancers, was called into service by Confederate secretary of war Judah P. Benjamin on May 12, 1862. Plagued by "chronic diarrhea of over ten months' duration," De Berry offered his resignation on July 3, 1863. His request was granted and his tenure of duty ended on August 27, 1863. He was a member of the House of the Tenth Legislature (1863–64) and served as secretary of state under Governor Richard Coke from January 27, 1874, to December 7, 1876. He was a charter member of the Texas Bar Association, organized at Galveston in 1882. De Berry married Elizabeth Hannah De Loach on December 13, 1860, in Panola County. They had three children. De Berry died on April 4, 1903, in his home in Aransas Pass and was buried in Prairie View Cemetery, Aransas Pass.”
Quoted directly from:
Robbie Fort Sutlive, "DE BERRY, ALFRED WESLEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fde83), accessed June 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
0.15 Cubic Feet
This collection consists of a single account book (81 pages, indexed) housed with another collection in a clamshell box.
Panola County transferred this ledger to the East Texas Research Center in 1984 with RHRD county records. A new inventory of county records at the archives "rediscovered" the ledger in 2013.
- Guide to the A. W. De Berry Law Practice Collection
- Kyle Ainsworth
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository