General Store Ledger, Shelby County, Texas
Scope and Contents
Business ledger of an unknown general store likely located in Shelby County, Texas. The ledger lists customers' names, their purchases, the price of those purchases, and also has a customer index in the front.
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
The first Anglo-American settlers came to the land that would become Shelby County, Texas in the 1820s and early 1830s. Originally organized as the Tenehaw District within the Municipality of Nacogdoches, Shelby County became the Municipality of Tenehaw in 1835 and assumed its present name the next year in 1836. The county gets its name from Isaac Shelby, who was a decorate soldier and prominent politician of the Revolution and Early Republic.
“Isaac Shelby.” Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Shelby (Accessed 2/3/2011).
Shelby County Chamber of Commerce. Shelby County Courthouse Grounds. http://www.shelbycountychamber.com/index.php?coc=historical_center (Accessed 2/3/2011).
0.40 Cubic Feet
This collection consists of a single ledger housed in one clamshell box.
- Guide to the General Store Ledger, Shelby County, Texas
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script