Skip to main content

Shelby County Historical Society Visitors Register

 Collection
Identifier: B-0122
Founded in 1962, the Shelby County Historical Society works to collect and preserve items with local and regional historic value. This register lists names of visitors from 1966-1985.

Dates

  • 1966-1985

Language of Materials

The collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research.

Extent

0.50 Cubic Feet

Biographical or Historical Information

The first Anglo-American settlers came to the land that would become Shelby County, Texas in the 1820s and early 1830s. Originally organized as the Tenehaw District within the Municipality of Nacogdoches, Shelby County became the Municipality of Tenehaw in 1835 and assumed its present name the next year in 1836. The county gets its name from Isaac Shelby, who was a decorate soldier and prominent politician of the Revolution and Early Republic.

Founded in 1962, the Shelby County Historical Society works to collect and preserve items with local and regional historic value.

Sources:

“Isaac Shelby.” Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Shelby (Accessed 2/3/2011).

Shelby County Chamber of Commerce. Shelby County Courthouse Grounds. http://www.shelbycountychamber.com/index.php?coc=historical_center (Accessed 2/3/2011).

Tomlin, John. History of the Museum and Society. http://www.shelbycountytexashistory.org/historyofmuseum.htm (Accessed 1/28/2011).

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single ledger book housed in one clamshell box.
Title
Guide to the Shelby County Historical Society Visitors Register

Repository Details

Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository

Contact: