African Americans -- Texas -- Nacogdoches County
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
The East Texas Research Center is the depository for the materials of the African American Heritage Project which was started by Birdie Wade. The ETRC is also in the process of creating an interactive and educational website for the African American Heritage Project.
This collection contains many different types of materials. There are newspapers, newspaper clippings, photographs, diplomas, certificates, correspondence, wills and probate records, journals, newsletters, and several books. Some items of note include plaques honoring various family members and the Arthur and Maude Cleaver’s original Prairie View A and M diplomas from the 1911-1912.
Orignal and copies of photographs from the Sanctified Quarters in Nacogdoches, Texas. The Sanctified Quarter was an African American neighborhood located on the southeast side of Nacogdoches. By 1980, when University Drive was extended to Loop 224, a majority of the neighborhood was gone. The area was bordered by Shawnee St., Haywood St. and Deveraux St.
This collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings and photographs (both originals and photocopies). Also present are nomination letters and letters of recommendation, copies of award certificates, biographical sketches, and several of Mrs. Glass’ publications. One item of note is an original Texas State Senate resolution granted in memorial of Willie Lee Glass in 1999.