Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital Collection
Scope and Contents
Original handwritten minutes of board and committee meetings, typed transcript of meeting minutes, program for dedication of addition, correspondence, newspaper articles and photos.
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
Memorial Hospital was built in 1928 and was the first hospital in Nacogdoches, Texas. Funds for the hospital were received when the City of Nacogdoches sold its electrical power plant and the land was a gift from Mrs. Itasca Blount. Its first name was City Memorial Hospital. It had a bed capacity of 28. Several additions were made to the hospital (1938, 1951, 1954, 1964 and 1976) which increased the bed capacity to 195. In June of 1967 the Texas Legislature passed House Bill #1248 making it necessary to hold an election to establish the Nacogdoches County Hospital District, which would assume all responsibility, liability and assets from the City of Nacogdoches. Ownership changed hands on May 6, 1968 and the name of the hospital changed to Memorial Hospital and a board of directors was elected. (Information summarized from dedication program of new annex in 1976.)
0.50 Cubic Feet
- Guide to the Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital (City Memorial Hospital) Collection
- Connie Cluff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script