Skip to main content

Luther Swift Collection

Identifier: A-0279
Legal documents pertaining to Nacogdoches area land transactions make up the bulk of this collection, though there is also some correspondence, an insurance policy for the Swift Bros. livery barn, and a map of land off Bois d'Arc Street.


  • 1900-1956


Language of Materials

The collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research.


0.20 Cubic Feet

Biographical or Historical Information

The son of Ella Teutsch Swift and Tom Swift, Luther Swift, Sr. was born in Nacogdoches County May 13, 1879. Swift married Ethel Leak in 1899, and the couple raised two children--Luther, Jr. and Lance. Luther Swift, Sr. made a living in the cattle and oil businesses. Swift Bros. owned operated a livery barn on North Main Street for a number of years. He died March 29, 1956 and was buried in the Swift Cemetery in Nacogdoches.

Source: "Funeral Today for Luther Swift Sr." 30 March 1956. Daily Sentinel.


This collection is described in eight folders and housed with two other collections in a clamshell box.
Guide to the Luther Swift Collection
Jenna Smith

Revision Statements

  • 1/21/2012: Reviewed by Kyle Ainsworth

Repository Details

Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository