Baker Printing Company Records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of job work records and printing samples, mostly yearbooks and programs of various East Texas religious, civic, and cultural organizations.
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
Starks William Baker and his father, George Washington Baker, operated a mill for grinding corn, sawing lumber, and making cane syrup at Emilee, Texas in Trinity County. His son, William Clifton Baker, was born there on July 2, 1902. S. W. Baker and his wife, Eugenia Hopkins Baker, also had an older daughter, Emaline Philokely Baker, who eventually became Mrs. Juston P. O'Connor of Bridge City, Texas. After the birth of Clifton, the Bakers moved first to Woodville, Texas, where S. W. Baker ran a variety of businesses including a mercantile store, a print shop, and a newspaper. In 1922 they moved to Rusk, TX, where the family published a newspaper, and Clifton graduated from Rusk College in 1924. They next moved to Cushing, Texas, where they again took on a newspaper, but began to look for a job printing shop. They found one at Nacogdoches. Giles Haltom, the editor of The Daily Sentinel, had his hands full managing the newspaper. The Bakers bought his print shop in 1927 and established the Baker Printing Company. While attending classes at Stephen F. Austin State University, Clifton met Azzie Polk, and they were married in 1934. S. W. Baker died on November 10, 1956, and Clifton continued to operate the business until he retired about 1983. Clifton Baker died in Nacogdoches on April 19, 1986.
1.50 Cubic Feet
This collection is described in 67 folders and was originally housed in 5 clamshell boxes. All the boxes were consolidated into a single banker's box. the original box and folder numbering remains in place.
- Guide to the Baker Printing Company Records
- Pam Palmer
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository