Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Stone Fort Chapter, Nacogdoches Records
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
The society of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas was founded in 1891 to perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved and maintained the independence of Texas. Composed of descendants of Texas pioneers of the Colonial and Republic periods, the organization encourages historical research and the preservation of documents, relics, and historic sites. The society promotes the celebration of Texas Independence Day (March 2) and San Jacinto Day (April 22) as well as other Texas Honor Days; finances publication of historical materials, conducts essay contests and historical programs at schools. The Daughters are custodians of the Alamo (San Antonio), the French Legation (Austin), and a museum in the Old Land Office Building (Austin). The Stone Fort Chapter of the DRT was organized in Nacogdoches, Texas by Mabel Lott (Mrs. George S., Sr.) Barham and Mamie Shindler (Mrs. Frank) Sharp. The first recorded meeting was at the College Coffee Shop on November 14, 1950. The Chapter has taken an active part in the preservation of the history of Nacogdoches through the research and publication of local history. They have helped with the restoration of the Old Nacogdoches University Building, the Adolphus Sterne Home, and other historical landmarks of Nacogdoches. They have obtained historical landmarks, held historical pageants and programs, and sponsored an annual Junior Historian Award at Nacogdoches High School.
- Guide to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Stone Fort Chapter, Nacogdoches Records
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script