Miscellaneous Nacogdoches County Business Records
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
0.25 Cubic Feet
Biographical / Historical
The name Nacogdoches is Caddo in origin and thought to mean "Place of Persimmon" or "Place of High Hill."
At the time of European contact, Caddo and Bidai Native American groups lived in what is now Nacogdoches County. In 1716, the Spanish established asettlement at Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe do los Nacogdoches only to abandon it two years later. Two years later in 1720 the Spanish tried again. They remained precariously in Nacogdoches until 1763, when Spanish colonial authorities ordered them to emigrate South to San Antonio. European settlement remained sparse in the area until 1779, when Gil Antonio Ybarbo led a group back to Nacogdoches area to establish the first permanent colonial settlement.
The name and collection number was changed to Miscellaneous Nacogdoches County Business Records (B-0086) in October 2018 from Nacogdoches County-Business Records (B-0088). One folder was removed and its oversize contents added to Bundle 1. This resulted in the adjustment of folder numbering.
- Guide to the Miscellaneous Nacogdoches County Business Records
- Linda Reynolds