Airline Motor Coaches Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection, which ranges from 1920-1983, is primarily composed of reunion photographs, industry newspapers, and company forms. There are also 10 bus schedules from the 1930s and 40s, reunion correspondence, a guest register, journal articles and several scrapbooks.
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Airline Motor Coaches Company (AMC) of Nacogdoches arose in 1924 through the vision and leadership of former school teacher C.D. Thomas. He created a bus company that was, by the mid-1930s, an established and respected facilitator of travel throughout East Texas. Beginning with just a Model “T” running between Corrigan and Lufkin, Thomas steadily expanded the company through a series of mergers and acquisitions with other local operators. During World War II, the AMC reached its height. One of the selling points for bus companies from the very beginning was that they offered service to places not covered by the passenger rail network. During the war, this fact, combined with the rationing of raw materials like oil and rubber, made busses the only viable means of public transportation for much of the region. In 1945, the AMC employed over 150 people and operated busses from Houston to Shreveport.
Although it was sold to Dixie Trailways in 1946, the camaraderie of AMC’s former employees remained high long after the company ceased to exist. Well-attended reunions in the 1970s demonstrated just how close-knit the Airline Motor Coaches family remained. Note written by (Tom Nall and Bobby Johnson. "Just Get on the Bus and Go: The Story of Airline Motor Coaches.")
3.00 Cubic Feet
This collection is described in 47 folders and housed in one banker's box, two oversize clamshell boxes and one oversize bundle.
- Guide to the Airline Motor Coaches Collection
- Greg Garcia and Kyle Ainsworth
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the East Texas Research Center Repository