J. Roy Gray Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of original deeds and other documents relating to the von der Hoya family in Nacogdoches. One item of interest is a conveyance of property in Nacogdoches from Thomas J. Rusk to Bennett Blake which includes the Red House. The Red House was the Old Spanish Barracks until 1832, and in 1845 it became Nacogdoches University.
- Event: Donated in 1960
- Gray, J. Roy (James) (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English and German.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
J. Roy Gray, son of Joseph R. and Julia McPaul Gray, was born in Bastrop, Texas, on November 5, 1888. On October 5, 1914, he married Clara Hoya, daughter of Charles and Francis Meisenheimer Hoya. J. Roy Gray served as a prominent businessman and civic leader in the Nacogdoches community. For many years, he was president of the Hoya Abstract Company. He also served as President of the First Federal Savings and Loan Association, as a director of the Stone Fort National Bank, and as a director of the community Hotel Corporation. From the opening of City Memorial Hospital in 1928 until his death, he served on the executive Committee and promoted many Hospital programs. J. Roy Gray died on March 30, 1966, and is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery.
("J. Roy Gray Dies Today."Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel 30 March 1966: A1)
0.50 Cubic Feet
This collection is described in 9 folders and housed in a clamshell box.
- Guide to the J. Roy Gray Collection
- Natasha McClanahan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script